Cooking for a crowd can be … challenging. When you’re prepping for a big Thanksgiving feast, the last thing you want to think about is dinner the night before or breakfast on the big day. However, people do need to eat, so I planned ahead and made dinner for Wednesday night and breakfast for Thursday morning in advance. I used Cook’s Illustrated’s “Best Make Ahead Recipe” book to great success.
Menu for Wednesday night’s dinner
- Chicken and Rice Casserole (supersized version)
- Green salad with apples, cranberries and a balsamic vinaigrette
Menu for Thursday morning’s breakfast
- Blueberry coffee cake
- Oven-roasted bacon
- Scrambled eggs
- Orange juice
- Julie Suva
- Jim Suva
- JJ Suva
- Helen Biggs
- Chris Wollonciej
- Carla Biggs
- Check the coffee cake in the very center with the cake tester. While the outer edges were fine, the center was still a bit gooey.
- Oven-roasted bacon is THE way to go. Virtually no mess and no hovering over the stove to flip the bacon. I would recommend flipping the bacon once while it’s roasting.
- There were LOTS of leftovers from dinner. I guess not everyone was as hungry as expected. It’s very hard to judge appetites. It may be worthwhile to consider making 2 small casseroles instead of one large one for events like this.