This is starting to become a bit of an annual event. I love having a Memorial Day BBQ, but on the Sunday of the holiday rather than Monday. That gives everyone Monday to recover … and it gives Craig and me a day to finish the clean-up!
- Hamburgers with all the fixin’s
- A variety of pork sausages
- Beef franks
- Corn salad (Barefoot Contessa)
- Broccoli salad (Safeway)
- Veggie tray
- Fruit salad (Joan Rieke’s contribution)
- A variety of olives
- Beer, wine, soda
- Chocolate Flag Cake (Cook’s Illustrated)
- Harley & Deb
- Big Rob
- Les Baker
- Jeff Wakeman
- Joan Rieke
- Nancy Lane
- Aziza Simpson
- Kelly Osterling
- Brian Sonet
- Corn salad (Barefoot Contessa): This was a very popular dish. If I make it again, though, I might leave out the basil. I didn’t particularly like the flavor.
- Dessert: Chocolate cake with buttercream frosting, decorated with blueberries and strawberries in a flag design. I’m pretty darn proud of this cake, especially the “stars”, since I had to use a pastry bag to do it. The chocolate cake and icing came from Cook’s Illustrated/Baking Illustrated cookbook. The chocolate cake was pretty dense, but really delicious.
- Joan brought a delicious fruit salad with chunks of angel food cake throughout. I even liked the blackberries but skipped eating the raspberries, of course.