Aziza was our guest this evening. We had also invited Nancy Lane, but she was sick so she couldn’t make it. Our only “rule” about this meal was comfort, so we said our guests had to come in sweats or their jammies. It sure was nice to feel at home during this meal.
This was the second year I’d made Beef Wellington. It’s a lot of work but so worth it! Even the leftovers are wonderful. I think starting off with a soup is nice. It takes the edge of the main hunger but doesn’t fill you up.
- Tomato soup (Tante Tini’s recipe)
- Beef Wellington with red wine sauce (Cook’s Illustrated online)
- Roasted asparagus (Barefoot Contessa)
- Stir-fried sugar snap peas (adapted from other recipes; added toasted sesame oil)
- Apple turnovers (Barefoot Contessa)
- Aziza S. [don’t search for her because she wants to be anonymous!]
- Use finer disc in food mill when pureeing tomato soup
- Use more sugar on the turnovers, since the pastry isn’t very sweet.